"The desire to create is one of the deepest yearnings of the human soul. No matter our talents, education, backgrounds or abilities, we each have an inherent wish to create something that did not exist before. Everyone can create. You don’t need money, position, or influence in order to create something of substance or beauty. You might say, I am not the creative type. If that is how you feel, think again. Creation is your opportunity in this life….. Start small. Creativity does not require a brush, a pen, or the keys of a piano. Don’t let the voice of critics paralyze you. You will make the World a better place. Improve, beautify, extend, smile, cultivate, develop, create."
~President Dieter F. Uchtdorf

1.04.2013

27 and my new favorite chocolate frosting


 We are so exciting to celebrate our birthdays (they are a week apart) with a date at the local bowling alley restaurant, The Grill.

The cupcakes I made. This was the first time I'd tried chocolate frosting. It was great!

"...Happy Birthday to Mo-om. Happy Birthday to you!"

I think I already have everything I could wish for. Except maybe a backyard. And a garage. And my own house. And...maybe... ok, I'll stop now...

Whole Wheat Chocolate Cake from 100 Days of Real Food (yes, this recipe has sugar in it, but it would still be a much better option than a cake from a box or a grocery store!)
2 cups whole white wheat, sifted
1/2 cup unsweetened dark cocoa powder
4 tsp baking powder
1 1/4 cups sugar
1/4 tsp salt
2/3 cup coconut oil
1 1/2 cups water
2 eggs
2 Tbl vanilla

In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients including flour, cocoa, baking powder, sugar, and salt. In a small bowl, combine coconut oil, water, eggs, and vanilla. Pour wet ingredients into dry and mix by hand with a whisk. Bake at 325* for 18-20 minutes.

Dark Chocolate Cream Frosting
8 oz cream cheese
1/4 cup dark cocoa powder
1/3 cup plus 2 Tbl pure maple syrup
1 cup whipping cream

Cream together cream cheese, cocoa, and syrup with an electric mixer until smooth and creamy. Slowly pour in whipping cream while  mixer is still going on a high speed and whip until thickened.



Here's a Nora-ism for your day:
Nora is sitting on the changing table getting her hair combed after her bath. I say, "Oh, you're such a pretty girl." And then she burps.

1 comment:

*Katie* said...

You are so beautiful! Look how long your hair is :) Happy birthday dear friend (who I haven't seen in years), regardless, I am so blessed to know you. You are such an amazing, inspirational person.