"The desire to create is one of the deepest yearnings of the human soul. No matter our talents, education, backgrounds or abilities, we each have an inherent wish to create something that did not exist before. Everyone can create. You don’t need money, position, or influence in order to create something of substance or beauty. You might say, I am not the creative type. If that is how you feel, think again. Creation is your opportunity in this life….. Start small. Creativity does not require a brush, a pen, or the keys of a piano. Don’t let the voice of critics paralyze you. You will make the World a better place. Improve, beautify, extend, smile, cultivate, develop, create."
~President Dieter F. Uchtdorf

7.30.2008

Homemade Raffle Item...Why??

So every summer, we have a Jensen Family Reunion. This is my Grandma Anderson's side of the family. It's a huge party and everyone takes turns being in charge of it. They pick a theme for the weekend and plan activities and food around that. We eat a lot, play games, have a talent show, a dance, and a raffle each time. It's really a lot of fun. This year I decided to actually bring something to the raffle since I'm married now. I really wanted to make something because that was the how the original raffles were. I saw this at Sugar n' Spice here in Logan (love that store) and thought to myself $50?!?! PLEASE! I could make that myself and it would be so easy! I've never been one for making crafts, probably just because I've never had a reason to. But it couldn't be that bad, right? Well, in my brain it seemed way easy (phrase copied from my friend Sara) and I was SO excited about it! I bought wood frames at the DI. Then I bought spray paint and card stock at Michael's. I found fonts that I liked and printed out the letters, playing with the sizes a little to make sure they looked good with the certain size of frame. Then I cut them out and glued them on to the card stock and cut those out. After that, the letters were glued to the front of the glass, card stock side out. The glass was then glued to the frame. I've been working on this off and on for about a week. I had a couple of challenges and got a battle wound. All in all, I'm really glad I'm done and that it looks somewhat decent, at least from the front. FAMILY is what I'm taking to the raffle and LOVE is a wedding present for my cousin.


12 comments:

amber or tyler said...

Mindi- Nathan is so big too. how cute. i'm glad you found us! welcome to blogger life. : )

amber

Larson Letters said...

Hi Mindi!
Yes of course I remember you! Congrats on little Nathan! Kristalyn had told me back when you were about to find out what you were having that you were pregnant! I am so glad you found me! I was actually wondering what you guys were up to the other day! So, isn't it crazy how much your life changes when you have a baby and how much love you can have for another human being besides your husband?!? I think he is so cute! He has so much hair! Well, I will talk to you later! Shauna

Matt, Nat, Hallie & Gracelyn said...

I love them they are so cute you should be way excited and can I just say I am so glad you guys came the other night it was so fun.

The Bowler Five said...

mindi-these are way cute! You did a great job. It's something that looks like a fun project, I may try it too.
Angie

The Rindi's said...

Mindi!! I don't know if you remember me but I was at USU with you, I lived with Nicole? Anyway I just found your blog and I wanted to say that your little boy is DARLING!! I love all of his hair!! I'm glad to see you guys are doing well!!

Valerie said...

Those frames turned out way cute! I wish I was going to your reunion so that I can win them! Nice work!

Todd and Melissa Titensor said...

Mindi & Corey!

I just found your blog through Amber and Zann's! Your little guy is so adorable! I love his hair. Keep your blog updated with tons of pictures of ya!

Meliss

The Smith said...

MINDI!!! These are So dang cute. I'm am drooling over them right here and now! You thought you weren't crafty, but you were wrong. I would love to do these!

Jessi said...

Hey, how much do you think you ended up spending on these. Just curios because I really really want to do them!

The Holmgrens said...

Looks good. I made a family one when I was in Roy, and the funny thing is I got the idea from Sugar n' Spice too. We must be realated! The blog is looking awesome!!! Good job, you are a natural.

Janell R. Cropper said...

Mindi! I'm so glad you found my blog! Nathan is adorable, and it looks like you are doing so well!! Your cute frames are inspiring me to be creative!!

Jen said...

Very cute frames! You're quite ingenious to get the frames from DI and spray them. I don't think I wouldn't have thought of that.