"The desire to create is one of the deepest yearnings of the human soul. No matter our talents, education, backgrounds or abilities, we each have an inherent wish to create something that did not exist before. Everyone can create. You don’t need money, position, or influence in order to create something of substance or beauty. You might say, I am not the creative type. If that is how you feel, think again. Creation is your opportunity in this life….. Start small. Creativity does not require a brush, a pen, or the keys of a piano. Don’t let the voice of critics paralyze you. You will make the World a better place. Improve, beautify, extend, smile, cultivate, develop, create."
~President Dieter F. Uchtdorf

11.03.2008

All of October in one

So I know it's pretty much been all of October without a post. My apologies. It's really busy and hard to find time to sit and play with our blog when there's always homework, laundry, and cleaning to do as soon as Nathan goes to sleep.
So here's a massive update.

This picture is probably like a month old. Nathan was figuring out how to start moving around. Well, now he is, but Corey calls this his push-up position and is very proud that's he's already practicing for his push-up days.


My little man is growing up. This is his first shirt and tie. My goodness. I couldn't decide if I liked the sepia or black & white more so I just posted both. Handsome-little-skater-hair-grown-up-boy.

So, now Nathan is scooting all over the place. He's not quite crawling yet, but he definitely knows how to get where he wants to. And when he really wants something, he can get there pretty quick. He's already figured out the two corners in the living room that I don't want him in and that's where he goes all the time. Showing above...


As many of you know, Nathan loves being outside and this becomes a problem when it's really cold in the evening. This was one of those nights when it was way too early to start the bedtime routine but he was acting very moody and quite cranky. This is when we'd take him outside. On this day, it was pretty cold. So I broke out the fleece bodysuit so we could go outside. I just couldn't believe how cute he looked in it.


Once again. Nap hair. Need I say more?


Nathan loves this bouncer. Loves it. Thanks to Shellyce and Kyle for letting us borrow it from their sister-in-law. It's so great to know that I don't have to find somewhere to store it when he grows out of it. Friends are great.


Nathan's first experience carving pumpkins. It's obvious what he's interested in. And the final product.



These are the treats I made for my visiting teaching girls. Franken-treats (Rice Crispies Treats with white chocolate and various candies). We also had freaky fingers for dinner (pigs in a blanket) on Thursday because we were at my parents house for dinner on Friday.


I decided not to do a full on costume for Nathan this year because I knew he would just puke on it and we weren't able to go to any parties nor we were going trick-or-treating. So this is what he wore on Halloween. It's still really cute.


This last weekend was drill again for the National Guard. So the spouses could all meet each other, families were invited to a Cake Auction and Soup Potluck. They were asking for beautiful cakes to auction off to raise money for the Christmas party. So I made a Peanut Butter Cup Cheesecake with Oreo cookie crust topped with hot fudge and peanut butter frosting. I really wish I had taken a picture. Here's a picture of the practice cheesecake, which looks pretty good for my first one ever, but the actual auctioned cake looked way better.

It auctioned off for $85! That was one of the higher ones. The very highest was $240! It was a 3-D teddy bear wearing ACU's and a beret holding a flag. I couldn't believe it was homemade! I also made a whole crockpot full of chili and almost all of it was eaten.

So we came home last night from the weekend to only half of our electricity. Weird. None of the overhead lights in the bedrooms were working and only some of the outlets would work. Like the kitchen lights worked but not the phone or microwave. And our bedroom light and Nathan's bedroom lights weren't working but both of our lamps were. Oh, the joys of a trailer. So I'm waiting for maintenance to come by and take a look at things and we'll see if it's a problem we're supposed to pay for or if the university will pay for it.

Happy day!

5 comments:

The Smith said...

Great update Mindi:) I love your cake! How fun to know that your creation was valued so much! O' and I vote 'sepia' on Nathan's shirt and tie pictures. The brown in the picture makes the picture 'warm' and is perfect for Fall. So Cute!

Emily Hamilton said...

I love the 'push-up' pose on the first picture.. He's going to be in top-notch shape. What a cute little guy...he's adorable!!! Also, I am very impressed with your Frankenstein treats...soo cute! I wish you were my visiting teacher. :)

Jay Strong said...

He is so dang cute you guys oh my gosh! Hey quick question, since I'm new to the whole blogger scene...How do you get your pictures to be so cool? Like the ones of Nathan in his halloween outfit. I just like the format and have no clue how or where to do that.

Jen said...

Cute pictures. I can't believe he's kept all his long hair. Good luck with the overnight thing. I'm sure you'll miss him but it will be nice to spend some time alone with your hubby.

Becca said...

mindy! it's so crazy to me that you are a mamma! your baby is BEAUTIFUL, he has your gorgeous eyes! i'm so glad i found your blog, it's fun to catch up on old high school friends. i hope life is going great for you, it looks like it is!