
Top left: Me with the cake. Top right: Me with ice cream in my mouth.
Bottom left: The birthday cake. 21+2=23. Middle right: Corey actually cooked the entire meal.
Bottom right: Me eating ice cream right out of the container
because there was only enough for one person.
Sunday was my birthday. It was quite the birthday. Story time! Saturday, it was quite cold in our and we couldn't figure out why. We check out the heater, pilot light still on, temperature still on 70, but it definitely was pretty cold. Colder then usual, and we know cold. We live in a trailer. In Logan. It gets cold. So we call a guy to come look at it, it's like 8 or 9:00. He says we need this new certain part. He doesn't have one that will fit our furnace since it's a 'trailer furnace'. So we call a few more people to see if they have one. We found a guy who said he might. Checked his van. Called and said no, but he'd go look in his office. Called again and said yes, he'd come over and put it in. So he comes, puts in the new part, and just happens to look at the pilot light again. It was still blowing which told him that there was a crack in the heat extractor. Since our furnace was so old, it was unserviceable. So we needed an all new furnace. He told us that there was a company called BRAG that, if you qualify, could get you a new furnace for free and that he would try to contact the guy on Sunday and get back to us. Well, if you remember last weekend, it was rather cold. Saturday, the low was 0, but Sunday morning it was -7. Saturday night I baked a cake just so that the oven would warm up the kitchen a little. Anyway, Corey went out and bought two space heaters to add to the one we already had. We put one in Nathan's room, one in the kitchen, and one in our room. We kept the water running in both the kitchen and the bathroom so the pipes wouldn't freeze, and prayed really hard that night that we would just make it through until morning. I was really mostly worried about Nathan and him staying warm and sleeping good. We can dress warm and know how to put more blankets on to be warm. We obviously made it through the night, but since it was so cold we spent most of the day after church at Mike and Jen's. Corey had a big birthday dinner planned for me fo steak and shrimp, so we took it all over there and had a fun afternoon. We actually only had 3 birthday candles so we called some friends and came up with what you see in the picture. Thanks Mike and Jen for helping us stay warm on my birthday!
Now for something gross.
Corey tried to grow out his facial hair all during the Christmas break. I made him shave off to a goatee because I really don't like hairy kisses. We should have taken a picture of him before he started shaving, but it didn't happen. All of the ROTC guys in his class were going to grow out their facial hair during the break and on the first day of classes, show up to PT on Monday morning with a mustache. (You can have a mustache with an Army uniform if it doesn't go past the corners of your mouth.) First, he had to have some fun. He shaved handlebars just for you, Brandt. Although yours were way cooler. These pictures look like he just scribbled it on. But I promise, that is home grown. I made him shave it off the second he got back from PT on Monday morning.

4 comments:
I can only imagine the cold. We really miss the snow and all that comes with it...except a furnace out. Glad you survived the night, next time you should all just crash at Mike and Jen's:)
Happy Birthday Mindi! Looks like you had a good one. I hope the furnace eventually started working. Logan is an ice cube.
I love the pictures of Nathan. He is such a happy little guy. Tell Corey we are impressed with his facial hair. :)
I love the facial hair! What a goof ball! I'm so glad Justin is a hairy beast, cause I'm not a fan of hairy kisses either!
I'm so glad you got a free furnace, lucky you!!!
Mindi I am sooooo sorry ! you came to our house that day and I completely forgot to tell you happy birthday!!! I knew it was and everything... wow, my brain is not functioning lately... i wish i had an excuse :)I am gald you had a happy day, a "personal holiday" as Janell once stated...
Post a Comment