Nathan had tubes put in his ears yesterday. I feel pretty lucky (or blessed rather) that we even found out he needed tubes. I wondered if he had an ear infection around Christmas/New Year's time, so I took him in. His pediatrician said that he couldn't really tell or not because there was so much wax buildup in his ears. And he has really small ear canals (which I hear every single time someone tries to look in his ears) so that made it hard, too. Anyway, we made an appointment with the ENT just to have his ears cleaned. The ENT said that he had fluid around his ear drums and needed tubes to get it out. I was surprised. I told him that he really didn't have a problem with ear infections, at least that I knew of, but both times I wondered if he did have an infection, they couldn't tell because of the wax and small ear canals. He also didn't really act like he was irritated or bothered by any pain in his ears. The ENT told me he had the kind of fluid that doesn't cause any pain and you would never even know there was a problem until they were 6 or 7 and were behind in school because of a speech/hearing problem.
So yesterday was the day. He did pretty good. I was more so proud of myself for holding it together. We had to be to the hospital in Logan at 6:30am which means Corey and I woke up at 4:30 to get motel stuff done (breakfast and money count) and get Corey sent off in time for school (he leaves at 5:15 every day) and I was out the door with Nathan at 5:45. I really prayed the night before that I would be given the strength and courage I needed and be brave for Nathan. I was just a little nervous about it. I knew that it was a simple surgery and a really short one, but I just had never been in this situation before as a mother taking her child to the hospital. I didn't know how Nathan would react to the anesthesia either. And I was going by myself.
Nathan did great. Coming out of the anesthesia was as excepted. When he finally started to come to, through his crying he kept saying "-something-something- go?" That's Nathan talk for "Can we go?" So I said "Yes, we can go just as soon as we're done here." and he said, through his cute little tears "Ok." He was great as soon as we got home, for the rest of the day, and today so far. You'd never even know he had surgery!
I'm so blessed to be the mom of this little angel.

5 comments:
Wow, way to go Mom! I think my youngest is going to need tubes in his ears someday and after reading your story, I'm not as stressed about it. Thanks!
So glad it went well! I would have come and sat with you at the hospital!
Tyler might need tubes too. Glad Nathan's surgery went well.
Oh, he's the sweetest little thing! I'm glad he did well ... you're such a good mom!
Poor guy! Glad to know he is doing better!
Post a Comment