"The desire to create is one of the deepest yearnings of the human soul. No matter our talents, education, backgrounds or abilities, we each have an inherent wish to create something that did not exist before. Everyone can create. You don’t need money, position, or influence in order to create something of substance or beauty. You might say, I am not the creative type. If that is how you feel, think again. Creation is your opportunity in this life….. Start small. Creativity does not require a brush, a pen, or the keys of a piano. Don’t let the voice of critics paralyze you. You will make the World a better place. Improve, beautify, extend, smile, cultivate, develop, create."
~President Dieter F. Uchtdorf

2.21.2010

Our job. Sometimes it stinks.

I don't know why that link isn't working. Nonetheless, that is the blog address to follow. cmholmgrenupdates.blogspot.com. Weird though.

Anyway, I didn't mean to sound so crazy or anything with wanting to go private. I'll try to make this long story somewhat short to explain. This guy came to stay in the motel in the middle of November planning on staying for months because he's working on the Proctor and Gamble factory that's being built over here. (sidenote: I've got a bunch of workers staying here for months at a time and he is the only one that causes so much trouble.) He was a pain in my side since the day he checked in. Demanding too much from me. Complaining about every petty thing. Living in a pig pen because he was so stinkin lazy to actually put his box of Cheezits on the table instead of the floor. We had problem after problem (mice, diarrhea in the bed, swearing at me, being rude to our maid) with him and this last event was the last straw.

After he had been here a month or so, he brought over his daughter, her supposed husband, and a child, about 3 or 4 years old, apparently from another mother. I don't know the whole story, nor do I want to. They hadn't been here more than a week when I got a complaint about all the yelling, screaming, swearing, and what sounded like hitting coming from their room. We approached them, found nothing, and told them if we got another complaint we would call the police. Their story was that the mother of the child was on meth the entire time she was pregnant and he had a form of autism where he threw the worst tantrums and they had to yell just to talk over him. Well, the guy that complained left about a month later and another monthly stayover guy moved in to the same room. It didn't take long for him to also complain. We told him the story, but he still came in and said he just didn't think that was the case and was getting worried. Corey went down to listen and watch a little, but we still called the police. Of course, they found nothing. The next day I got a call from the 'grandpa', the guy who came in November. I had a feeling this would happen and was actually pretty nervous all day about it. He chewed me out about interfering with his family, told me to stay out of it and let him do what he thought was best. I tried to tell him what I thought was best to back up our actions. It obviously wasn't good enough. And then he ended the conversation complaining about something with his room again and then just hung up, not even letting me say a thing.

It really upset me. I cried for a couple of hours every time I talked about it. I called the owner and told him all of the problems and what had just happened and we decided they needed to leave. It wasn't worth it. Thankfully that night was our 'night off' so when our alternate came (he's a big guy so that was good) he was the one who went out and told them they needed to be out by Sunday. Within seconds it turned to a yelling and screaming match. He blamed everyone else for his problems, including all the Mormons in Tremonton. They actually left the next day. I have no idea where they went. I don't really care, but I think I will always have that little boy in the back of my mind, wondering if there really was a problem and I let them stay in my motel.

What I didn't even realize was the weight I was holding on my shoulders all because of them. It was to the point where I dreaded answering the phone in the middle of the afternoon because I thought it might be him. I have never felt a release like I did the day he left. Not even in all of my school years, high school or college, with all the deadlines and tests and papers. I had never felt a weight like that. And I Didn't Even Realize It Was There Until I Watched Them Drive Away. It was a breath of fresh air and a breath I hadn't been able to take for 3 months.

I am done talking about it because every time I do, swear words run through my head thinking about all that went on. And I don't like that he brings that out in me. He's gone now. I never have to deal with him again. So, moving forward, forgiving, and forgetting is the next step.

By the way, Nathan is getting tubes in his ears on Wednesday. Just a side note. Hopefully all goes well.

5 comments:

Joanne said...

Oh my word. That is such a terrible thing to go through. I'm glad you're ok and that he's gone now. Way to be strong!

The Bowler Five said...

Wow! That is crazy and not fun at all. I am so glad that things are better now. Love your blog.

David and Shayla said...

Mindi, that is insane. No one should have to deal with that. I can't imagine living with that fear for so long, hope you guys are all right, thanks for the invite to the private blog, we'll make sure to keep in touch!

:) said...

Thanks for adding me I feel lucky! I never knew all that crap was going on for you over there, I'm sorry that sounds very very frustrating. Your a wonderful lady and they are lucky to have to take care of them. let me know if I can ever do anything for you, thanks for everything :)

Kierstead Family said...

I realize it's been a while since this story but holy cow! I think you're amazing to even take on a job like that. I don't know if I could do that, I don't handle conflict very well. :)

~Stef