The cookies turned out great this time! I wanted to not use artificial food coloring at all, which includes sprinkles, but I caved and used a little bit. I know there are some expensive naturally colored sprinkles you can buy, but I haven't yet purchased any yet. I have, literally, a grocery sack full of sprinkles from my days working at Kitchen Kneads in Logan. I tried to do mostly snowflakes so I could decorate them with coconut. Nathan had so much fun frosting and decorating his, which are all on the bottom rack. Nora just wanted to eat the frosting right off the knife.
So here's the recipe:
Cut-Out Cookies
(I halved the original recipe for just the four of us, and Santa of course)
1 cup butter
2 eggs (whole recipe called for 3)
1 cup pure maple syrup
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. lemon extract
3 cups sifted whole spelt flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt
Cream together butter and syrup until creamy. Add eggs and flavoring. Stir in sifted dry ingredients and mix throughly. Chill for several hours or overnight. Roll out to 1/4 in. thickness, cutout desired shapes, and bake at 375* for 10 minutes or barely browned.
Frosting
8 oz. cream cheese
3-4 Tbl. maple syrup
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 cup whipping cream
Cream together cream cheese, syrup, and flavorings until smooth. Add whipping cream and mix with an electric mixer on high speed until thickened.

No comments:
Post a Comment