"The desire to create is one of the deepest yearnings of the human soul. No matter our talents, education, backgrounds or abilities, we each have an inherent wish to create something that did not exist before. Everyone can create. You don’t need money, position, or influence in order to create something of substance or beauty. You might say, I am not the creative type. If that is how you feel, think again. Creation is your opportunity in this life….. Start small. Creativity does not require a brush, a pen, or the keys of a piano. Don’t let the voice of critics paralyze you. You will make the World a better place. Improve, beautify, extend, smile, cultivate, develop, create."
~President Dieter F. Uchtdorf

1.12.2014

Birthday, Shots, Bath Smiles, and Birthday

Another birthday for me... wow that's a lot of candles. My mom made a fancy dinner, complete with candles and mood lighting. Then almost burned the house down with so many candles...just kidding. But really, that's quite the fireball!





Lexie had her 2 month checkup on Thursday. She was a little 'off' the rest of the day. She slept a lot and was a little fussy. She was 12 pounds even and 23.7 inches long.


A giant rubber ducky bath. It only *kind of* works. But her after-bath smiles are sure fun!




Yesterday was Corey's birthday. He had drill this weekend and since it was the big 3-0 birthday, I really wanted to do something special. So I contacted the Commander and asked him if there was a time I could bring over balloons and stuff, maybe some how in front of everyone, and had people sing him Happy Birthday or something. We had tentatively planned on about noon. I doubled checked that morning, didn't hear back right away, so we left anyway. I went to Smiths to get candles and balloons and Kneaders for a cinnamon roll. Then the commander finally texted me back and said to come at 2. Three kids in the car, including a nursing baby, and now we had to wait 2 more hours. We grabbed some sandwiches for us and ate in the car. Lexie started to get upset and hungry so I needed to figure something out. I decided to go to Headquarters and just hang out in a little room. That way I could feed Lexie, the kids could color or something for a little bit. I knew of a waiting room with a couple of couches, so I went there. While I was nursing Lexie, Nathan let go of the balloon. It floated up to the very high ceilings and we couldn't reach it. He almost started crying. I finished with Lexie and changed her diaper. There were two guys talking at a desk right outside the door, so I decided to interrupt and just ask if they knew where a ladder was to get the balloon down. They found a ladder, got the balloon, and then all of a sudden it was practically 2:00. We got the cinnamon roll on a plate, put a candle in it, and Nathan held the balloon really tight. I fixed Nora and Lexie's bows since everybody was a little messed up. We walked through the cubicles trying to diminish our use of the large and used hallway to make sure we really wouldn't be seen by too many people. We turn the corner and who do we see right at the doorway? COREY. Surprise Ruined. What the crap. All I could say out loud was, "Are you kidding me?" I found the First Sergeant outside the auditorium and we were all good to go. We were waiting in the back of room and then he said "Well, today is Lt. Holmgren's birthday so let's all sing to him," and then they started singing. Wait, stop, what the crap. I was supposed to be up front, Corey had to come up front, too, then Nathan and Nora were going to give him his cinnamon roll and balloon. We were still standing in the back and 75% of the people didn't even know I was there. So I panicked. I started walking down the aisle and was whisper ordering Corey to come down with me. We only made it halfway down the aisle when 'Happy Birthday' was over, so then I just felt like a fool standing in the middle of the room with everyone looking at me. Nathan even froze and didn't want to hand him the balloon. Then Sgt. Nelson tried to make Corey do birthday pushups. Nathan joined him and they did like 5 or 10. Then we walked back to the back of the room and they started their training meeting. Corey was like, 'Ok, thanks, see ya.' And we took the balloon and the cinnamon roll with us. Wow, that was *a lot* of effort for about 2 minutes of embarrassing spotlight that was totally ruined. I was a little fuming.

I also was trying really hard to make everything so perfect for Corey's birthday dinner. I told him I would make whatever he wanted. He requested chocolate lava cake and homemade vanilla ice cream.  I took on a little too much and was incredibly overwhelmed with a small baby and making so much all very homemade.



Now looking back, it's all just STUFF and doesn't really matter. I just really wanted him to feel special and know how much we love and appreciate him and all he does. The attempts did send the message across, even if it didn't turn out like I wanted it to.

No comments: