The missionaries came over for dinner tonight. Thanks to my hubby for signing us up only yesterday. It left for a lot to do in just one day! lol. He has learned his lesson. Now don't get me wrong, I don't mind having the missionaries over at all, in fact I really do enjoy it, but that was not very much notice for a person who wants to make a completely delicious dinner and have her house spotless on a day when it's also my turn for carpool and the house happens to be a complete mess from a fun filled weekend. (well if that wasn't a run-on sentence I'm not sure what is...) Everything turned out great though and husband is still ok to sign up to feed the missionaries again just at a later time in the week! (thanks goes to said hubby for taking an hour out of his day to help me clean a little. xo, babe).
This is going to sound really, really weird, but today I'm thankful for the talent I was blessed with of being able to cook. We are trying to cut out processed foods from our diet, and have been mostly successful, but it's kind of a work in progress and you have to start by taking baby steps. Switching to a 'real food' idea really opens your eyes to the kinds of ingredients that are in the foods you eat. I'm thankful that I've always enjoyed cooking, and that I've always tried to make good food for my family, because it's made this 'real food' switch a little easier.
So on this note of cooking, a few mornings ago it was freezing as I came in from exercising with my friends in my garage. I quickly decided it was definitely a hot chocolate kind of morning for all 4 of us. The store bought kind is full of refined sugars and other artificial ingredients, so I of course made our own!
*Don't mind the Christmas mug in November. They are the only mugs we have!*
Homemade Hot Cocoa
1 cup water
5 tsp. dark cocoa powder
3 Tbl. 100% pure maple syrup
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
3 cups whole milk
optional oils: peppermint, cinnamon, wild orange
Heat water, cocoa powder, and maple syrup on stove on medium in a saucepan until all ingredients are smooth. Add vanilla and milk and bring to a simmer. Pour into individual mugs. Introduce desired flavor by swirling a toothpick dipped in your favorite essential oil. Makes 2-4 servings.


No comments:
Post a Comment